How much does renewable really cost?
There is a widespread perception that the energy solution that offers the lowest economic cost goes through renewable, notably solar.
Here’s an analysis for evaluation, considering the Brazilian power matrix which is based on hydro.
1. Solar energy produces only during the day
2. Hydro power, for example, produces 24 x 7
3. Solar energy requires investment in hydroelectric power to enable night supply
4. Investment in hydroelectric associated with solar is therefore way more expensive
5. This is because the hydroelectric plant will supply the nominal energy MINUS the one that the solar one produces
6. Thus, the package demands more investments and accordingly a higher total cost per energy delivered
The solution is obvious. Pass on these additional costs arising from the installation of solar to those who install solar and not to “all others” as it has been!