Have you heard about Diversity Factor?
During calculation of Power Transformer Loading specifically in a Wind Farm Pooling Sub Station, I always consider it in a different way. Normal definition of diversity factor is Sum of Individual Demand or Load divided by Total Demand.
In a Wind Farm either 33 KV line conductors or say rating of power transformer do not consider the factor of wind speed & these are designed per standard data applicable for continuous loading like coal thermal power plants.
Whenever we talk about loading of a power transformer during high wind season then diversity factor to be considered for actual loading instead of connected load.
Followings to be considered in diversity factor calculation:
1. Wind Profile at various WTG locations—————-It differs
2. WTG shutdown plan for preventive maintenance………….It is already decided
3. 33 KV line & USS shutdown plan———-Normally not planned in High wind
4. ROW————–Very normal in Wind industry
5. Facility of boost mode in WTG———–This is positive side implication on loading of power transformer against designed for connected load
6. Availability of spare parts—————Major issue.
7. Grid Availability————Normally it is not considered at 220 KV level being stable grid (98 to 99%)
So if we go for practical data then maximum loading on power transformer can be known where rarely it runs on 100% loading.
Based on above all factors, machine availability (MA) is also agreed as 96% in the O & M contract. If contractually we can’t go beyond 96% then why transformer is designed at 100%. Also wind speed don’t remain same all the time.
Moreover cooling of transformer also increased during high wind means high generation which again makes transformer to take more load.
Its my view. You can share your ideas & knowledge.
#PowerTransformer #ElectricalEngineering #HighVoltage #TransformerMaintenance #PowerDistribution#Windfarm #RenewableEnergy #CleanEnergy #WindTurbines #WindEnergy#DiversityFactor #ElectricalLoad #LoadDiversity #LoadFactor #ElectricalEfficiency#WindSpeed #WeatherConditions #WindEnergyPotential #WindResource #Designing #EngineeringDesign #ProductDesign #CreativeDesign #Innovation