In Finland, Finnair’s anti-carbon program lifts the ambition-level in the aviation industry by revealing its intention to reduce its net emissions by 50% by the end of 2025 from the 2019 baseline and achieve carbon neutrality latest by 2045. The plans clearly exceed the industry’s common targets.
The new strategy includes a holistic approach to transform Finnair’s operations to bring the company’s climate footprint dramatically down. The main actions to tackle the carbon challenge are:
- A 3.5-4.0 billion euro investment in fleet during 2020–2025, reducing emissions in Finnair’s European traffic by 10–15%, as announced earlier in Finnair capital markets day.
- Investing 60 million euros in sustainability during the strategy period of 2020–2025.
- Reduction of weight onboard every flight, including ending in-flight travel retail sales within EU on April 29 and focusing on pre-order travel retail.
- Driving operational efficiencies to improve the fuel efficiency of every flight.
- New partnership with Neste to increase the use of sustainable aviation fuels in Finnair operations.
- Offsetting carbon emissions of corporate customers’ flights.
- Inviting customers to make sustainable choices and matching their offsetting and biofuel contributions with biofuel.
- Reducing single-use plastics by 50% by the end of 2022.
- Reducing food waste in catering operations by 50% by the end of 2022.
As reported by The Digest last week, Finnair has also entered an ambitious partnership with Finland-based Neste, the world’s largest producer of sustainable aviation fuels refined from waste. The partnership will not only increase Finnair’s use of sustainable aviation fuel, but it will also boost the production of sustainable aviation fuel in Finland, an important step in making sustainable aviation fuels more widely used and affordable for Finnair and other airlines.
Category: Producer News
This articles was originally posted at: https://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2020/03/08/finnair-intends-to-reduce-net-emissions-by-50-by-end-of-2025/ on